The Power of Nurture
Jonathan Haidt: I was born in New York City but grew up in Scarsdale, New York, in the suburb north of New York City. It shaped me in that I was a nice, normal suburban kid, sent to an Ivy League school, immersed in the normal sorts of things that get one into a certain intellectual class, where there is very, very little moral diversity, and that is very important for who I became.
Recorded on: May 9, 2008
No dysfunction needed: a normal childhood led to Jonathan Haidt's exploration of happiness.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.