The Potential of Barack Obama
Question: What challenges would Obama face as president?
C. K. Williams: Oh, he’s inheriting an incredible mess. The last eight years have been-- have put America in such jeopardy in so many ways, the fact of these trillions of dollars of debt we have now. That’s going to be a huge burden to arrive with, the fact that global warming has-- nothing has been done about it. Even McCain now says he’s-- that he thinks something has to be done about it. Lord knows he changes his mind so often we don’t know how long that will stay but-- and the Iraq war of course is a huge issue and the economy, unemployment, immigration. The person who-- It’s not a job one should really want. These are really incredible issues. I think from what I’ve seen of him his basic intelligence will allow him to assemble a team-- basically a President is a team; it’s hardly a single person-- will allow him to assemble people to help begin those problems. And the fact that he’s such an inspired orator, which some people almost hold against him, I think is very, very crucial at this time, that someone will be able to speak and convince people what they have to do, convince the country, convince them that there’s hope first of all. America has never apparently in all the polls expressed so much of a lack of hope in anything, and I think the fact that he is that inspiring could be very, very important- will be very- assuming he wins will be very important.
The challenges ahead for President Obama.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.