The Creative Gene
Question: Was there creative competition in your house growing up?
Russell Simmons: My experience growing up was that my mother was a painter and my father was a poet and my older brother is a painter and a poet, and my younger, as you know, is a famous poet, Saraba. So for me, I was surrounded by creative people. They always joked that I was inspired so much by it that I was the one who learned to exploit it. But I was also a producer and I’ve always had a love for the creative process.
Recorded on October 27, 2009
Why Russell Simmons’ family members joke about his artistic talents.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.