The Catholic Church Will Recover
He has also served as a member of the Bundestag, the federal parliament of Germany, where he was appointed chairman of the Environmental Committee. Additionally, he has taught as a professor of interdisciplinary biology and was the founding president of the University of Kassel in Germany. Weizsäcker has authored several influential books on the environment, most recently, "Factor Five: Transforming the Global Economy through 80% Improvements in Resource Productivity."
Question: Will the\r\nCatholic Church recover from the current scandals?\r\n\r\n
Ernst Weizsäcker: They certainly will recover. They've been in existence 2,000 years, and\r\nthey have a very strong message. \r\nBut, they don’t deserve to recover soon, unless they really accept the\r\nguilt that some individuals loaded on themselves and the institution has to\r\nlearn that perhaps the conditions under which priests work are conducive to\r\ncertain misbehavior. So, maybe the\r\nconditions will have to be changed. \r\nThis has been the case in the so-called reformation by Martin Luther and\r\nothers. At that time, the Catholic\r\nChurch was in a much worse state of affairs, with much more guilt in that sense\r\nthan today. And it has kind of led\r\nto a purification. The challenge\r\nfrom the reformation has led the Catholics to learn much from Luther and\r\nothers. So, now they are almost indistinguishable.
Recorded on April 9, 2010\r\n\r\n
Consider the Martin Luther era, when things in the Catholic Church were even worse.
- There are 2 different approaches to governing free speech on college campuses.
- One is a morality/order approach. The other is a bottom-up approach.
- Emily Chamlee-Wright says there are many benefits to having no one central authority on what is appropriate speech.
Two new studies say yes. Unfortunately, each claims a different time.
- Research at the Weizmann Institute of Sciences declares evening to be the best time for an exercise session.
- Not so fast, says a new study at UC Irvine, which replies that late morning is the optimal workout time.
- Both studies involved mice on treadmills and measured different markers to produce their results.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.