Should we be able to vote online?
Question: Should we be able to vote online?
Jeff Jarvis: I believe in the representative system of government, and I think that if everything were uphold, there’s a tyranny to that.
Nonetheless, I had an idea when the Personal Democracy Forum asked me to write an essay, I was thinking about the idea of having my own disclosure page of politics and adding a little functionality to this where I could say, “Here’s what I believe. If you think I’m wrong, you can tell me. Or, here’s what I believe, and if you want me to help you on your campaign, I will.” And I can change that constantly. And if it’s searchable, you can start to get a constant sense of the pulse of the people.
So I don’t think it’s a question of voting once, I don’t think it’s a question of voting and changing the structure of government, which I don’t want to do, it works too damn well, all in all. But I think there is a way where we can constantly state our opinions and our fears and what we know and don’t know and our wishes. And the more that we can capture that from the wisdom of the crowd and the wisdom of the people, and I do believe the crowd is wise, the better off we’ll be as a country.
Recorded on: April 30, 2008
Jarvis says he doesn’t want to change the structure of government.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.