Shmuley Boteach on Religion in Crisis
Question: What is the sate of religion today?
Shmuley Boteach: Well religion, I think, is in crisis. Not that that’s anything . . . I mean religion is probably always been in a crisis. But the crisis comes from the fact that we see extremes in religion. We don’t see that good, healthy balance where religion is nurturing. We either see extremes of terrorism and murder in the name of God. Or we see in the United States, where thank God this is a very religious country, but we see religion being politicized. I would . . . I believe that religion is unifying; that religion is supposed to bring man and God closer together, and man and his fellow man closer together ‘cause we’re all equally God’s children. I’m not sure that we’re there yet. I think religion remains divisive. That doesn’t mean religion isn’t profoundly helpful and virtuous, and so many people lead beautiful lives because they’re religious. There are so many people who are more devoted fathers, parents; they’re more charitable; they adopt orphans; they feed the hungry because of their spiritual beliefs. But they also can sometimes use their spiritual beliefs to define an outsider – you know, who’s not part of our faith; who is not going to heaven the way I am. Or those darn gays who are destroying our society.
Recorded on: 09/05/2007
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach says crisis is nothing new for religion, but today is more terrifying.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.