Robert Menendez on an Immigrant's Perspective on America
Robert Menendez: I grew up in New Jersey. Born in New York City. Lived in New Jersey my whole life from parents who emigrated from Cuba. It’s bought certainly an immigrant experience to me; one that is very relevant in the work I do today, but more importantly one that make me think about what it is to come to a country in which you don’t necessarily have anybody waiting for you; in which you don’t necessarily know the language; in which you may have to start all over again as my mom and dad did, and think about the courage that that takes to do. And in doing so, you know, the voyage that people are willing to undergo, whether it be for freedom or for economic opportunity. And so I think that that’s shaped a lot of my thinking, and certainly who I am as the first generation . . . the son of immigrants.
Recorded on: 9/12/07
The New Jersey senator tells a classic immigrant story.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.