Robert Butler on Sex Among the Elderly
Question: Do the elderly still want sex?
Robert Butler: Well not all older people do, but those that do often enjoy it very much and they are still very much involved after all. Human intimacy is so important in life and the capability is there unless one has diabetes in particular or some neurological dysfunction or circulatory problem. And even there, to a degree, there are now medications that will help like Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, which can make a difference in people's lives. They don’t become a substitute for intimacy. You have to have a loving important relationship. They are mechanical. They are not intimate and they are not also aphrodisiacs.
Question: How can you spark desire in those who are no longer interested in sex?
Robert Butler: Well, if they really are not interested, I don't think they should be pushed into something they are not interested in. If they have some inkling of interest, then they have an opportunity to talk with a specialist who may be able to help them address whatever problems they may feel they have their partner.
Is sex an important part of staying healthy in old age?
Robert Butler: Well, I don’t if there is anything more important than human closeness and intimacy. Sexuality is not just intercourse. Of course, sexuality is also closeness. Sexuality touching, so there is much that couples who may even have a serious medical impediment can still enjoy in terms of bodily contact.Recorded on: Mar 17 2008
Sexuality, Butler says, is not just intercourse.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.