Ricky Gervais on Celebrities
Ricky Gervais is an English comedian, author, actor, director, producer, screenwriter and former pop musician. He achieved mainstream fame with his television series The Office and the subsequent series Extras, both of which he co-wrote and co-directed with friend and collaborator, Stephen Merchant. Besides writing and directing the shows, Gervais also played the lead roles of David Brent in The Office and Andy Millman in Extras. Gervais has also appeared in several Hollywood films, including For Your Consideration, Stardust, Night at the Museum and Ghost Town.
Question: How are celebrities coping with the recession?
Gervais: Yeah. What I said… You know, it’s a hard time, celebrities. They got to make sure they’re still loved [through] recession. It’s… Really, it makes me laugh. It does make me laugh. Everyone… Everyone… There’s new thing in England is celebrities having depression. Oh, I feel all depress. It’s always… It’s always over-privilege performers that have this bouts of depression. You have blue-collar workers, you know, working class moms [IB]. I feel a bit depress. Do you? Get the kids to school. Oh yeah. You know. I just think of these guys of minimum wage, reading articles about… Oh, look at this poor millionaire comedian. He feels all alienated. I wish there’s something I could do but I lost my fingers. I mean, please pull yourself together, everything is an addiction now as well, isn’t it? Everything. I was saying the other night, if I come out in the [tractor] and say, I’ve never been a heroine addict, not a ripple of applause. If I come and go, I use to do a lot of heroine and I use to steal and mug for… I use to piss myself in doorways but I haven’t done that for a little while, they go, yes, done those things. He should’ve been doing in the first place for a little while. Brilliant. Oh God, I’m addicted to sex. Not a problem, not a problem. Shut up. Why are you telling me about it? Why are you telling me… Why you’re calling your publicist before you call the doctor, addicted to sex? Jesus Christ. Oh God, I drink too much. Well, stop then. Stop then. I mean, it’s doing you no good at all. Oh God. So yeah, I like celebrities.
Question: Has the recession affected you?
Gervais: Yeah. I got all my money out the bank and bought a gun. And I sit on it. I sit on it in my house. Well, I’m aware of it. Of course, I’m not going through the hardship with people less fortunate but… No, it hasn’t. I’m fine. Don’t worry about me.
Bailing out Ricky Gervais.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.