Richard Price on Michael Jackson's "Bad"
Question: You wrote the script for the music video. Are you proud of it?
Richard Price: I cannot tell you how much that freaking video has come up. Yes, I did. I confess. I think it’s pretty funny. At the time, everybody’s reaction to it was a real freaky thing. I just wrote an eight page story leading up the song but when you’re writing it-- Quincy Jones went to Martin Scorsese who went to me and said “They want you to work with Michael Jackson.” How on earth are you going to say ‘no’ with that crew? Even just to have the experience and it was just an eight page script. I think I did a pretty good-- everybody did a good job. Michael Jackson did a decent job as an actor. Scorsese is Scorsese. I’m a good writer. The thing is, you can’t do a realistic script starring Michael Jackson, which is going to end in a song anyhow. It’s like everybody was great and the whole thing somehow was not. At the time, it was upsetting. At this point, it’s like comedy is tragedy plus time.
Recorded On: 3/3/08
The author of 'Lush Life' also wrote the script for the 'Bad' video.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and things that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way.".
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.