Re: Why has America lost its standing in the world?
Sallai Meridor: Well I painfully have to admit that I cannot understand it. And I don’t have a good explanation to give to you. Take Europe. Europe was saved by America. Europe today is more threatened than America by this very dangerous trend of Muslim extremism. Just a few days ago, we had a terror attack in London in Glasgow. And this was not the first one. You had the ones we had in Madrid. So Europeans are subject to . . . or have been subject not less than Americans. Add to that fact that in Europe, you have significant Muslim minorities that are being incited by those radical Islamists in different ways – through the Internet, through special TV stations operated either with support of Iran or independently. And they are creating a major problem for Europe itself in terms of how their own Muslim population will integrate or not integrate into their own societies. Iran is now developing missiles that would easily hit Europe. So having said all that, you would have expected first Europe to be much more cooperative and responsible in addressing the threats, and much more appreciative of the United States’ behavior and leadership in this context. So I guess that what I did was share with you my frustration; but I’m afraid that I did not give you a good enough explanation to a behavior I fail to understand.
Meridor compares the European approach to terrorism with the approach of the United States.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.