Re: What is your outlook?
Amy Gutmann: I am an optimist by nature. I would call myself a pragmatic optimist. And I am pessimistic today, right now, about the way the world is headed in the very near future. I see no good way forward in Iraq. I see a lot of opportunity that was open in this country being closed. I see a lot of the rule of law being violated. So I’m not optimistic about the near term; but I am optimistic about the future because we are a great constitutional democracy, and the world looks at us as a great constitutional democracy. And we have as much reason as the world to be disappointed in what’s happening today, but we’ll turn it around. I know we will.
The 20th century, Gutmann believes, will be remembered as the age of global awakening.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.