Re: What is the root of Islamic fundamentalism?
Sallai Meridor: Well it’s very difficult to say that there is one point in time or one particular reason. We do see the trend. It’s a challenge to try and analyze and try to look for the roots. We only . . . Our eyes can only show us the symptoms. I think that one of the contributors to that may be a growing level of frustration in Muslim societies of their inability to make it in the world, and that their systems are not allowing the value which there is there in their societies to reach, speak and contribute to them, and to contribute to world societies. So one thing is where they are, vis-a-vie
. . . vis-a-vie a fast-advancing western society. At the same time, I assume that there are internal intentions within these societies between different segments of societies and others . . . between elements and societies of the regimes of those societies. So in a way, I’d say there are internal conflicts that are being exported to us, unfortunately. And these internal conflicts are enhanced by maybe a sense of frustration of not being able to cope in a competition for ideas, for new technology, and for progress.
Meridor supposes that it may be because Muslim societies are struggling to make it in the world and the internal conflict in these societies is being exported to the rest of the world.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.