Re: Is the American political system broken?
Question: Is the American political system broken?
Bill George: The fact . . . Well certainly politics and how our politicians all around the world, particularly in the United States, don't say what they believe. Every time I give a speech, I get asked, “Do your ideas about authentic leadership apply to politics? And I say, "I really don't know if you could get elected. Because today, it's not clear you can get elected anywhere by saying what you believe. And I think the lack of . . . the compromise that' taken place in public life is a tragedy. And to me it's gotten much worse over the last 40 years, to the point where good people . . . young people today don't want to go into that life.
Recorded on: 7/6/07
It's not clear you can get elected by saying what you believe.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Quoth the parrot — "Nevermore."
- Edgar Allan Poe (1809–1949) is considered one of America's great writers.
- Poe penned his most famous poem, The Raven, in his 30s.
- Originally, the poem's feathered subject was a bit flamboyant.
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.