Re: How has religion changed?
Virginia Postrel: Obviously another area that everybody talks about these days is it has to do with religion. How do we . . . There was this notion among the intellectual elites in the west and . . . that religion would just die out over time. I . . . Because I came from a religious place where everybody’s religious, I sort of found that hard to imagine. There’s a huge religious impulse in human beings. Maybe it’s biologically wired in, and people if they don’t . . . it expresses itself in many, many, different ways. And so I think that if you study the diversity of religion, it sort of takes away from the notion of sort of one true faith. But I also think it takes away from the notion of, “Oh everyone is inevitably going to be secular.” Because if that’s the case, wouldn’t it have happened already someplace?
Recorded on: 7/4/07
Why we haven't all become secular yet.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.