Phil Gordon on Knowing When to Quit
Phil Gordon is a professional poker player, teacher, television analyst, and author. Phil is one of only five people in the world to have won a World Poker Tour event and finish at the final table of the World Series of Poker. Phil is a proud to be a national spokesman and board member for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. Phil leads a "No Limits" life.
Gordon: One of the things that I think has really contributed to my success in business and in poker is something that one of the great players taught me, right when I first started playing, and that was pretty simple. When you’re losing, make any excuse you can find to get up from the table and leave, and when you’re winning, plant your ass in the seat and make them come after you. Basically, it works because when you’re winning, they’re chasing their losses. They’re probably playing sub optimally. You’re probably playing at the best of your game, and even if you’re not, they might think you are. When you’re losing, there may be multiple reasons that you’re losing. They can be playing very well, you can be playing poorly, you could not have focus, but I think that, you know, one of the guys that truly believes that if you’re losing you make any excuse necessary and you get up and you go home and you save it for another day, but if you’re winning, it’s almost impossible to get me up from the table.
Phil Gordon says you have to know when you can’t win.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
Hungarian cartographer travels the world while mapping its treasures.
- Simple idea, stunning result: the world's watersheds in glorious colors.
- The maps are the work of Hungarian cartographer Robert Szucs.
- His job: to travel and map the world, one good cause at a time.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.