Patrick Byrne: How will this age be remembered?
Patrick Byrne: This age? I think it will be a ___________. Well I think that this has persisted and gotten as bad as it is only because of different kinds of capture. And there’s powerful, you know, structures of power and authority as __________ would say; although I think he . . . But I’m a believer that there are classes with . . . and groups who have captured the mechanisms of government; and maybe more importantly, captured the methods of discourse – of popular discourse. What’s great about social media is it bypasses that. It bypasses all these central . . . centralized hierarchical systems of power and authority. If there’s a chance to get to work our way out of it, it’s through social media and the Internet.
Recorded on: 10/29/07
Government and discourse has been co-opted; media can get it back.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.