Outsourcing Talent in the Land of the Free?
Kevin Ryan: There’s a shortage of people who have a technology background. And it’s really becoming a business problem and it’s one of the number one things that CEO’s complain about to members of Congress when I see them is that it’s difficult to get Visas, so you might have someone from Pakistan, who has a masters in Computer Science, wants to come to the United States to get a job. I would argue that that’s incredibly beneficial for our economy, and if he doesn’t come here and millions like that, then what companies will do is end up employing people in other countries, which is okay from my selfish interests, but not as good for the country overall.
And so, as you know, there’s an enormous outsource community in India with hundreds of thousands of people, which is fantastic for India and I’m supportive of that, but putting on my U.S. hat, I’d love to have many of those people in the United States working for companies, creating jobs and then at some point spinning off and starting new companies. So anything we can do that has more training and more Visas for qualified people I think is great for this country.
Directed / Produced by Jonathan Fowler & Elizabeth Rodd
The biggest problem facing the tech industry right now, says Kevin Ryan, CEO of Gilt Groupe, is a shortage of trained workers.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.