Obama Girl on Her Background
Amber Lee Ettinger is an American actress and model best known as Obama Girl in her on-line video "I Got a Crush... on Obama" -- referring to 2008 presidential candidate Barack Obama -- which has earned her scores of media appearances, from a part in a "Saturday Night Live" sketch with Fred Armisen as "Obama" to an interview on "At Large with Geraldo Rivera" with 'Geraldo Rivera'. A native of Hazelton, Pennsylvania, Ettinger moved to New York City to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology to study fashion and clothing design, having expressed hopes to create her own clothing line and other business ventures. Early in her career, Ettingter was crowned Miss NYC in the 2003 Miss Hawaiian Tropic pageant, later augmenting that title with a nod as Miss Howard TV in June 2007. She has also appeared in a video for the Onion News Network, as well as the music video for the John Popper song "Lapdance". Amber released a new video called Hillary! Stop the attacks! Love, Obama Girl on March 25th, 2008.
Ettinger: I’m from a small town called Hazelton, Pennsylvania. I was born there, but I grew up in a bunch of different states. My dad was in the army, so I guess I’m an army brat, without the brat. But I think, for me, growing up in a town like Hazelton, it was very quiet. It’s a nice place to raise your family, and, I think, that’s the best part about it, just having a small town and being surrounded by your grandparents and your cousins. But I was in high school, I couldn’t wait to get out and get to the big city. I knew exactly what I wanted to do from a very young age. When I was really young, I wanted to be Strawberry Shortcake, but that never happened. But, I guess, I think it was when I hit about 13, I knew I wanted to go to New York to be a fashion designer and be in entertainment, whether it be modeling, acting, dancing, and that’s exactly what I did. I got accepted to the Fashion Institute of Technology, and I studied Fashion Design there for a few years. While in school is when I started getting approached in the street to do different modeling jobs, small acting gigs, and it all kind of snowballed from there, and then upon graduation of college is when I did modeling and acting full time, as well as started singing.
Obama Girl talks about growing up in Pennsylvania.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
A consortium of scientists and engineers have proposed that the U.S. and Mexico build a series of guarded solar, wind, natural gas and desalination facilities along the entirety of the border.
- The proposal was recently presented to several U.S. members of Congress.
- The plan still calls for border security, considering all of the facilities along the border would be guarded and connected by physical barriers.
- It's undoubtedly an expensive and complicated proposal, but the team argues that border regions are ideal spots for wind and solar energy, and that they could use the jobs and fresh water the energy park would create.
We take fewer mental pictures per second.
- Recent memories run in our brains like sped-up old movies.
- In childhood, we capture images in our memory much more quickly.
- The complexities of grownup neural pathways are no match for the direct routes of young brains.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.