Obama Girl on Her Background
Amber Lee Ettinger is an American actress and model best known as Obama Girl in her on-line video "I Got a Crush... on Obama" -- referring to 2008 presidential candidate Barack Obama -- which has earned her scores of media appearances, from a part in a "Saturday Night Live" sketch with Fred Armisen as "Obama" to an interview on "At Large with Geraldo Rivera" with 'Geraldo Rivera'. A native of Hazelton, Pennsylvania, Ettinger moved to New York City to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology to study fashion and clothing design, having expressed hopes to create her own clothing line and other business ventures. Early in her career, Ettingter was crowned Miss NYC in the 2003 Miss Hawaiian Tropic pageant, later augmenting that title with a nod as Miss Howard TV in June 2007. She has also appeared in a video for the Onion News Network, as well as the music video for the John Popper song "Lapdance". Amber released a new video called Hillary! Stop the attacks! Love, Obama Girl on March 25th, 2008.
Ettinger: I’m from a small town called Hazelton, Pennsylvania. I was born there, but I grew up in a bunch of different states. My dad was in the army, so I guess I’m an army brat, without the brat. But I think, for me, growing up in a town like Hazelton, it was very quiet. It’s a nice place to raise your family, and, I think, that’s the best part about it, just having a small town and being surrounded by your grandparents and your cousins. But I was in high school, I couldn’t wait to get out and get to the big city. I knew exactly what I wanted to do from a very young age. When I was really young, I wanted to be Strawberry Shortcake, but that never happened. But, I guess, I think it was when I hit about 13, I knew I wanted to go to New York to be a fashion designer and be in entertainment, whether it be modeling, acting, dancing, and that’s exactly what I did. I got accepted to the Fashion Institute of Technology, and I studied Fashion Design there for a few years. While in school is when I started getting approached in the street to do different modeling jobs, small acting gigs, and it all kind of snowballed from there, and then upon graduation of college is when I did modeling and acting full time, as well as started singing.
Obama Girl talks about growing up in Pennsylvania.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
Two massive clouds of dust in orbit around the Earth have been discussed for years and finally proven to exist.
- Hungarian astronomers have proven the existence of two "pseudo-satellites" in orbit around the earth.
- These dust clouds were first discovered in the sixties, but are so difficult to spot that scientists have debated their existence since then.
- The findings may be used to decide where to put satellites in the future and will have to be considered when interplanetary space missions are undertaken.
Once again, our circadian rhythm points the way.
- Seven individuals were locked inside a windowless, internetless room for 37 days.
- While at rest, they burned 130 more calories at 5 p.m. than at 5 a.m.
- Morning time again shown not to be the best time to eat.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.