Nathaniel Rich's Literary Canon
Topic: Nathaniel Rich's Literary Canon
Nathaniel Rich: Probably I would say The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov is maybe my favorite book, and I tried to imitate it as m- or rip it off as much-- not rip it off. I’m saying I tried-- it was a big inspiration writing The Mayor’s Tongue. I- I-- there were a lot of things that- that Bulgakov does in that book that I tried to- to assimilate into my book. Flann O’Brien, At Swim-Two-Birds is the funniest book I know. I would include also a Dickens book, but I don’t- maybe Bleak House-- that’s three. Two more books? It, by Stephen King, which I haven’t read since I was- in about 17 years or 15 years, but I loved that book a lot when I read it. And, I don’t know, In Cold Blood maybe? I was just re-reading part of it so it’s fresh in my mind. But that was-- I remember reading that at a young age and it- it’s really sticking with me.
Recorded On: 3/17/08
The five books Rich can't live without.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.