More Action on Hurricanes
Question: Is there anything we can do to stop the increase in tropical storms?
Ernst Weizsäcker: It is a fact that the terrible tragedy of the Katrina Hurricane destroying much of New Orleans has created a lot of awareness in America on the dangers of climate change and if an increase of heavy storm events leads to more awareness building in the United States, but also in the tropical countries, of course, then the chances for getting not-so-popular policies through Congress, or through the respective Parliaments worldwide, are greatly improving. But one should not fall into the illusion of quick battle winds. If we move into the right direction, it may still take 20, even 50 years before good results can be measured. But this is not an argument against doing it because if we continue hesitating, then the price will be much higher; the damage will be much bigger. This is the reasoning of Lord Stern in the Stern Review, and later of saying, the longer we wait, the more expensive will the transition be. So, we’d better act now.
Recorded on April 9, 2010
The chances for getting climate change policies through Congress—or through Parliaments worldwide—are greatly improving thanks, in part, to the terrible tragedy of Hurricane Katrina.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.