Lisa Randall: Changing Our Understanding of Multiple Dimensions
Lisa Randall: Well I think the fact that there can be this exponential warping and it has these really dramatic implications is pretty important. Its important for the reason that I just said, which is that it might explain why mass scales are different. It could be relevant for other places where youd want different mass scales, such as inflationary cosmology. But we also found something else that was very interesting that you could actually have an infinite dimension of space; thats an extra dimension, a fourth dimension of space that you dont see. And this is really radical in the sense that since basically physicists always thought that if you had extra dimensions, they had to be tiny because we dont see them. Its pretty intuitive. If somethings really small, you dont see it. And so the idea that you had very curled up or finite-sized extra dimensions. And that was basically what people thought was essential for us not to see them. It turns out that this strong warping that we discovered could also mean that gravity is so concentrated that you dont see it in an extra dimension of space. So that could have radical implications obviously for our universe. Recorded On: 11/2/07
Exponential warping, Randall says, has large implications.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.