Leif Pagrotsky on Socialism
Question: How is socialism defined in Sweden today?
Pagrotsky: To me it means almost nothing. The word has lost its content because it has been used so much for so different purposes in so many different countries. I never used it and in my country it is almost out of use. In France, it’s the name of the Social Democratic or the party of the Left, the party that could be called the Democratic Party of France. Whereas in my country, it has been used by Communist parties, and in the Soviet Union, it was used by the Communist Party. If you use the word, a person who listens to me would not understand what I’m talking about, so I don’t use it. And in my country, it is not part of the normal vocabulary anymore. I call myself a Social Democrat. That’s very good for me and that’s what I use.
Leif Pagrotsky explains that in Europe socialism is a misnomer for social democracy .
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.