Kishore Mahbubani: How do you account for the rise of ethno-nationalism?
Question: How do you account for the rise of ethno-nationalism?
Kishore Mahbubani: : Well, actually what you do see in Asia is that the economic development is leading to a diminution of the traditional tensions within Asian countries. I mean one thing that people haven’t noticed is that all the three biggest wars since World War II are fought in East Asia, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Sino Vietnamese War, and hundreds of thousands of people died. Today the guns are completely silent in East Asia, and the silence of the guns is not an accident. The silence of the guns is a result of a very carefully thought out decision by all the leaders saying “hey, this is our moment to make it, let us focus on economic development and let us not get this distracted by war and conflict.” Now the Asians haven’t had--even though they have achieve zero wars within any two nation states-- have not reached the highest level of human civilization, which is what the European union has achieved where in Europe you don’t just have zero wars, you have zero prospect of war and that is an incredible civilizational achievement. But I think that is the direction of the Asians want to go to also, they want to replicate Europe also in that area.
When looking at Asia, Mahbubani thinks its important to distinguish between inter and intrastate tensions.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.