Kishore Mahbubani Do you foresee more wars over resources?
Question: Do you foresee more wars over resources?
Kishore Mahbubani: Well, the really good news of my book is that wars are a sunset industry now. I think most countries realize that the wars are not the way to settle these things, and, indeed, paradoxically, China understands this better. If you look at the amount of money the Unitesd States spends on its nuclear program, the amount of money that the Russians spends on its nuclear program, China spends a minuscule amount. In fact, Chinese keep their nuclear weapons off the alert in a way the Americans and Russians still do so. I think the only positive thing that is come out of Iraq war, by the way, is that whole world can see, that the world’s greatest most powerful military power in the world that spends all most as much on defense as the rest of the world combined cannot invade and occupy once small country called Iraq. It shows how difficult war has become, right? So, war basically, the Iraq war has delegitimized war in the dramatic fashion. And you will find in East Asia for example, you take for example, two countries like China and Vietnam. As recently as 1979, there were million Chinese solders confronting a million Vietnamese solders. Today you go to the same border. The million Chinese solders have gone. The million Vietnamese solders have gone and at the border, you only see smugglers and trade.
Wars, Mahbubani says, are a sunset industry.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.