Ken Wilcox on Motivating Employees
Wilcox: The two most important ingredients from my perspective in motivating employees to stay ahead of the competition are these. First of all, we go out of our way to hire highly conscientious people, people that drive themselves. I don’t think that anybody stays at SVB who isn’t inherently conscientious. Our folks work really hard but not because anybody tells them to, simply because they want to. The second factor, though, in motivating your employees to stay ahead of the competition is culture. The kind of culture that you build will make all the difference in the world in terms of whether or not your employees work hard to stay ahead of the competition. The two most important aspects of any company are strategy and culture. And I would say under any circumstances, culture trumps strategy. By culture, what I mean is the common understanding that you build among your employees around the way they treat each other, and the way they treat their clients. You could also describe culture as values, a set of values that you mean, that you live, that you not just talk about but you also exhibit on a daily basis and that people will identify with or not, sign up for or not, and that will either cause people to stay in your corporation or because they can’t identify, move on.
Ken Wilcox knows the importance of keeping employees creatively engaged.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.