I've Never Left New York
Bonnie Timmerman: I am from New York. I have . . . I’ve never left New York. Where a lot of us go out to Hollywood to work because that’s the business I’m in – show business – I think that staying in New York has made me just a little bit different. I think the fact that you could walk to theaters, movies, museums; walk to the opera, the ballet; I think that helps me to understand talent; to understand all the new people that are coming in. So I think living in New York is tougher. I do . . . I love to go out to Los Angeles because it’s so beautiful; and there are so many flowers; and everybody eats breakfast, lunch, and dinner out; and it’s fantastic – it’s like a vacation. But in New York it’s tougher, edgier. And I think that the kind of work that I’m doing is a little tougher, a little edgier. I think it’s become like a zoo actually. I think . . . I don’t even see buses stop for lights . . . for people to cross the street, I think. It’s a different . . . It’s very different. It’s a little . . . Everyone is so crazy, and everyone smokes on the street. So there’s always people smoking on the street, where they never used to smoke on the street because they could smoke indoors or in restaurants. And so . . . So I see a lot of that, and I see a lot of aggression . . . a lot of aggression, and it’s disappointing. I like those . . . You know the bicycles that . . . I think those are just wonderful and I wish there were more of them. And that cars would park somewhere else and we could just either walk, or ride bicycles, or be driven by bicycle. I think . . . Or horse and buggy, I don’t know. I think it . . . I mean I . . . The horse and buggy time, that was way before my time. But I think that there is a sort of romance to New York even through its grittiness and its intensity. But I think a lot of that is gone because people are in such a hurry. And you know and they smoke a lot of cigarettes on the street. (Chuckles)
Recorded On: 12/21/07
For casting director Bonnie Timmermann Los Angeles is vacation, New York is home.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.