Is it the oil?
Arlen Specter: Well I believe our dependency on OPEC oil is a major problem. We have legislation pending now in the Senate. I introduced, along with Senator Cole, a provision to take away the antitrust exemption, which OPEC, Saudi Arabia, Venezuela and the other OPEC nations have. They sit down in a room, reduce supply and the prices go up. We need to develop alternative sources of energy and we’re doing it now with ethanol, renewables. An energy bill passed the Senate, which is a step in that direction.
Recorded on: 7/4/07
We need to break our dependence on OPEC and foreign oil, Specter says.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
Air pollution is up to five times over the EU limit in these Central London hotspots.
- Dirty air is an invisible killer, but an effective one.
- More than 9,000 people die prematurely in London each year due to air pollution, a recent study estimates.
- This map visualizes the worst places to breathe in Central London.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.