Is hormonally enhanced food necessarily bad food?
Marion Nestle: Well the Food and Drug Administration says that adding bovine growth hormone to cows who are producing milk produces milk that’s identical to cows who haven’t been treated, and that’s why it’s not labeled. I think for a lot of people the idea that cows are being artificially treated in a way that will cause them to produce more milk is not particularly good for the cow. It’s not natural. It’s not what nature intended. They don’t like it. They’re worried about it. It’s very difficult to prove that a food, or a hormone, or an ingredient in a food is perfectly safe. That’s really difficult to prove. It’s also hard to prove that it’s harmful in any way that’s measurable. People eat very complicated diets. Milk is only one portion of the diet that people eat. But they would rather not have it. It’s hard to explain to a consumer why you need to have this hormone in the milk. It doesn’t seem necessary, and so why have it?
It's just not natural, says Nestle.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.