How Raw Milk Is Like Marijuana
Author and food activist Nina Planck was raised on a family farm in Virginia, where she learned to appreciate "real," traditional foods. She worked as a reporter for TIME Magazine and wrote speeches for the U.S. ambassador to London before opening the first farmers’ markets in London. Today her company, London Farmers’ Markets, runs fourteen markets. She is the author of two books: "Real Food: What to Eat and Why," and "Real Food for Mother and Baby: The Fertility Diet, Eating for Two, and Baby's First Foods."
Planck is a Big Think Delphi Fellow.
Question: What are a few \r\nthings people can\r\ndo to eat healthier?\r\n\r\n
Nina Planck: \r\nIf\r\nyou want to change your diet the quickest way is to think about a couple\r\n of\r\nthings you can eliminate and a couple of things you can add. I gather from the latest studies on\r\nweight loss diets that most people try to do too much and I expect that \r\nis the\r\ncase with real food too. So do you\r\nknow how they refer to marijuana as a gateway drug to harder drugs like \r\nheroin? Well I find that real milk is a gateway\r\nfood to other real foods, so one thing you might do is just raise the \r\nstandards\r\nof your dairy consumption a little bit. So if milk is a staple in your\r\nhousehold buy whole milk, not skim milk. \r\nBuy organic milk and not industrial milk. Buy\r\n local, regional, grass-fed, un-homogenized milk. And if\r\nyou can, buy raw milk. Buy better\r\nquality dairy products. Eliminate\r\nany fake foods. That is an easy\r\none to remove. If there is fake\r\nbutter in your fridge, throw it away. \r\nClear out your pantry of anything that is ersatz, imitation or \r\nfake,\r\nanything that has been injected, engineered, reengineered. \r\n You might consider eliminating\r\nindustrial corn from your diet altogether – so that would be corn syrup,\r\n corn\r\noil and all its friends actually, the yellow grain and seed oil, \r\nsafflower oil,\r\nsunflower oil, soybean oil. They\r\nare not good for you for a host of reasons we haven’t had time to \r\ndiscuss\r\ntoday. You could eliminate corn-fed beef, which \r\nwould be industrial beef and eat only better beef and you could\r\neliminate corn syrup from your diet. \r\nThese would be quick ways to start. And I \r\nwould also just add if you have children in your house\r\nit’s a great time to get motivated to do these things.
Raising the standards of your dairy consumption can be a "gateway" step toward a healthier, more natural diet.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.