How Raw Milk Is Like Marijuana
Author and food activist Nina Planck was raised on a family farm in Virginia, where she learned to appreciate "real," traditional foods. She worked as a reporter for TIME Magazine and wrote speeches for the U.S. ambassador to London before opening the first farmers’ markets in London. Today her company, London Farmers’ Markets, runs fourteen markets. She is the author of two books: "Real Food: What to Eat and Why," and "Real Food for Mother and Baby: The Fertility Diet, Eating for Two, and Baby's First Foods."
Planck is a Big Think Delphi Fellow.
Question: What are a few \r\nthings people can\r\ndo to eat healthier?\r\n\r\n
Nina Planck: \r\nIf\r\nyou want to change your diet the quickest way is to think about a couple\r\n of\r\nthings you can eliminate and a couple of things you can add. I gather from the latest studies on\r\nweight loss diets that most people try to do too much and I expect that \r\nis the\r\ncase with real food too. So do you\r\nknow how they refer to marijuana as a gateway drug to harder drugs like \r\nheroin? Well I find that real milk is a gateway\r\nfood to other real foods, so one thing you might do is just raise the \r\nstandards\r\nof your dairy consumption a little bit. So if milk is a staple in your\r\nhousehold buy whole milk, not skim milk. \r\nBuy organic milk and not industrial milk. Buy\r\n local, regional, grass-fed, un-homogenized milk. And if\r\nyou can, buy raw milk. Buy better\r\nquality dairy products. Eliminate\r\nany fake foods. That is an easy\r\none to remove. If there is fake\r\nbutter in your fridge, throw it away. \r\nClear out your pantry of anything that is ersatz, imitation or \r\nfake,\r\nanything that has been injected, engineered, reengineered. \r\n You might consider eliminating\r\nindustrial corn from your diet altogether – so that would be corn syrup,\r\n corn\r\noil and all its friends actually, the yellow grain and seed oil, \r\nsafflower oil,\r\nsunflower oil, soybean oil. They\r\nare not good for you for a host of reasons we haven’t had time to \r\ndiscuss\r\ntoday. You could eliminate corn-fed beef, which \r\nwould be industrial beef and eat only better beef and you could\r\neliminate corn syrup from your diet. \r\nThese would be quick ways to start. And I \r\nwould also just add if you have children in your house\r\nit’s a great time to get motivated to do these things.
Raising the standards of your dairy consumption can be a "gateway" step toward a healthier, more natural diet.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
A consortium of scientists and engineers have proposed that the U.S. and Mexico build a series of guarded solar, wind, natural gas and desalination facilities along the entirety of the border.
- The proposal was recently presented to several U.S. members of Congress.
- The plan still calls for border security, considering all of the facilities along the border would be guarded and connected by physical barriers.
- It's undoubtedly an expensive and complicated proposal, but the team argues that border regions are ideal spots for wind and solar energy, and that they could use the jobs and fresh water the energy park would create.
We take fewer mental pictures per second.
- Recent memories run in our brains like sped-up old movies.
- In childhood, we capture images in our memory much more quickly.
- The complexities of grownup neural pathways are no match for the direct routes of young brains.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.