How do you contribute?
Question: Where have you been successful?
Richard Cizik: Oh it comes in a variety of forms, but look. When the nation’s most influential evangelical leaders, the presidents of 39 colleges, the pastors of our largest mega churches, the heads of the NAE come forward and say in the Evangelical Climate Initiative that this is God’s business to care for the earth, I think that’s a signal moment in history. I’ve even heard the former Vice President Al Gore and President Bill Clinton . . . I’ve heard them say that when the evangelicals came out to speak about the climate change – global warming – that’s when things began to change. Why? Because evangelicals have been the conservative moral custodians of our cultural climate. And when these conservatives say this, then the public begins to pay attention. Now that’s Al Gore and Bill Clinton. And arguably they could take a lot of credit. Al Gore’s movie or whatever. And I’m sure they have played an important role. They absolutely have. That is the movie An Inconvenient Truth. But we, the evangelicals . . . when we spoke on this issue, I think the public began to pay attention.
Recorded on: 6/25/07
Richard Cizik persuades conservative Republicans, which by and large most evangelicals are, that the very fate of the planet is at stake.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.