How do you contribute?
Lidia Bastianich has been described as the reigning queen of Italian cuisine in America. She is the host of cooking shows on PBS, including Lidia's Italy, a new 26-episode series which features American and Italian chefs preparing regional Italian dishes.
Bastianichs family fled Communist Istria in 1956 and became political refugees in Italy, before moving to the United States. Bastianich trained in kitchens in New York City and opened her first restaurant with her husband at the age of 24. Since then, she has opened several restaurants, including Felidia and Becco. She has also authored several cookbooks including Lidia's Family Table and Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen.
Question: What impact does your work have on the world?
Lidia Bastianich: I know I . . . Humbly I will say it has a tremen . . . substantial . . . a substantial impact. And how do . . . how do I know that? Well because my restaurant, and now with my son Joseph, and with __________ and so on, in partnership we have more than 12 restaurants. I have published just my fifth book. My television series is in its eighth year. And at the end of the day there’s 50 million viewers. My books sell in the 400,000 or 500,000 copies. So I know I reach people out there. My show has been bought in Australia, in New Zealand, Asia satellite, Canada. So I know that there is a want for what . . . the message that I’m giving. And I know that people are buying it and listening. So I am humbled by this, but I feel it is a great responsibility.
How do you teach someone to cook?
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.