Grilling Lessons from Nathan Myhrvold
Single best tip I can give you for grilling, is that you should line your grill with aluminum foil. And the reason is what cooks your food is infrared radiation, light that comes off your barbecue from coals. Sounds funny but that red glow, that's what's cooking your food. Actually a combination of the red glow you see and infrared radiation that you can't see but it's there and it's light and it reflects off things that are shiny.
So your grungy black barbecue, that means that the side of the barbecue is absorbing the heat not your food. So what you really want to do is line your barbecue with aluminum foil with the shiny side towards the coals. That reflects heat back up into the food, makes it cook faster and much more even.
The other great thing about barbecue is that a lot of flavor you get from barbecue is actually from fat dripping on the fire. So if you're cooking something that doesn't have any fat in it, like grilled vegetables, brush them with olive oil and brush them quite liberally because the olive oil that drips off and goes down and causes some flare ups, that will create a lot of flavor.
Myhrvold offers tips for grilling, including lining your grill with aluminum foil and brushing veggies liberally with oil to get extra flavor from dripping fat.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.