Gloria Estefan on Performing in Cuba
Gloria Estefan is a Cuban American singer and songwriter. She was born in Havana, Cuba, and at the age of 16 months, she moved with her mother to Miami, Florida, following the Cuban Revolution. Named the "Queen of Latin Pop", she is in or near the top 100 of best selling music artists with over 90 million albums sold worldwide. With five Grammy Awards and several number one hits she is the most successful crossover performer in Latin music to date. In addition to her music career, Estefan has appeared in two movies, Music of the Heart (1999) and For Love or Country.
Gloria Estefan: I certainly hope so. I mean, it is inevitable that change will come. I hope it comes soon enough and that the Cubans end up being free enough because right now we are going to see it be tough for them to just suddenly be thrown into a whole new world that they don’t know, so it is going to happen little by little. But I do hope that they do experience freedom, and that is when I would love to perform there, in a day where I don’t have to ask the government permission or have anybody take repressive measures in any way, about me, against the audience, against anyone, and I would need that, I would need them to completely free. It is happening; it is going to happen. For none of us it is soon enough, but as long as it is in the best way for them particular candidate you think will be best.
Recorded on: May 2 2008
The singer says it's her dream to one day perform in a free Cuba.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
Famous physicists like Richard Feynman think 137 holds the answers to the Universe.
- The fine structure constant has mystified scientists since the 1800s.
- The number 1/137 might hold the clues to the Grand Unified Theory.
- Relativity, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics are unified by the number.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.