Global Governance in a New Era
Question: Are global institutions up to the challenges of globalization?
Stephen Walt: Well the set of global institutions that we have now are all sort of leftover from World War II. And they were created for particular contexts. I’m thinking here of the World Bank, the United Nations, particularly the structure of the Security Council. And everybody understands that these are kind of outmoded in terms of either their membership or their powers. What no one has done yet is been able to devise sort of, “Here’s the blueprint for how we should fix all of them.” I think the biggest issue there, of course, is you have to devise a set of institutions that are sufficiently inclusive of the new power centers, right? A Security Council in which India is excluded in 2030 doesn’t make a whole lots of sense to me. A Security Council in which Brazil is not a player, again, doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. So one part of it is just reforming the overall global architecture.
Recorded on: 10/8/07
Are the post-War structures sufficiently inclusive of new powers?
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
A new study from Oregon State University makes it clear: it's you.
- Researchers discovered that the more attention you give a cat, the more likely they are to return it.
- Cats are territorial; being in their home environment greatly affects their attitude.
- The common wisdom that cats are aloof is provably false.
10 of the most sandbagging, red-herring, and effective logical fallacies.
- Many an otherwise-worthwhile argument has been derailed by logical fallacies.
- Sometimes these fallacies are deliberate tricks, and sometimes just bad reasoning.
- Avoiding these traps makes disgreeing so much better.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.