Fun With Ricky Gervais
Ricky Gervais is an English comedian, author, actor, director, producer, screenwriter and former pop musician. He achieved mainstream fame with his television series The Office and the subsequent series Extras, both of which he co-wrote and co-directed with friend and collaborator, Stephen Merchant. Besides writing and directing the shows, Gervais also played the lead roles of David Brent in The Office and Andy Millman in Extras. Gervais has also appeared in several Hollywood films, including For Your Consideration, Stardust, Night at the Museum and Ghost Town.
Question: What do you do for fun?
Ricky Gervais: Heroine. I just can’t stop it. Killing. I thought I'd just kill once to try it, but it’s so mulish, I just have to keep doing it. I’m sorry. I'll go to jail and I’ll read me Bible. I'll never kill again. Oh dear.
I don’t know. Sunshine, I mean; a newborn kitten, the smile on an old lady’s face. But mainly heroine, jacking up. I love the needle going in. I love what it fucking does to your brain. I like the way you lose all bodily functions. Oh God. I was sensible for half an hour. What do you expect? What do you expect?
Question: What do you do to relax?
Ricky Gervais: What do I do? I like staying in. I love, you know, having a nice, safe home. Sit down with my girlfriend and my cat, watching tele, loving Dexter, loving Damages. I love doing the podcast with Karl Pilkington. Friendship. Friends and love ones; obviously, it is. I do count my blessings everyday—thanks just a little five pound bag. A walk in the woods. Maybe helping an elderly man across the road.
I like starting race riots just to see what happens.
Recorded on: Feb 25, 2009.
A laugh riot with the English comedian.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
A consortium of scientists and engineers have proposed that the U.S. and Mexico build a series of guarded solar, wind, natural gas and desalination facilities along the entirety of the border.
- The proposal was recently presented to several U.S. members of Congress.
- The plan still calls for border security, considering all of the facilities along the border would be guarded and connected by physical barriers.
- It's undoubtedly an expensive and complicated proposal, but the team argues that border regions are ideal spots for wind and solar energy, and that they could use the jobs and fresh water the energy park would create.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.