Freedom and Prosperity
Jimmy Wales: From a practical point of view, one of the real things that’s making a huge difference – and today we’re seeing this in more and more places – is the idea of freedom – free markets, free minds, freedom of speech. Obviously it hasn’t penetrated everywhere yet; but increasingly we see more and more people are coming around to the idea that respect for individual rights is really important if you want to have a prosperous society. And I think that’s one of the things that shapes where we are today, and where we can go in the future if we want to have a healthy society.
Recorded on: Aug 10, 2007
A prosperous society is contingent on respect for individual life.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.