Ezekiel Emanuel's Thoughts On The Aspen ideas Festival
Emanuel: Well this is . . . It’s been . . . It’s a three year old festival, and I’ve been here each year – each of the three years teaching. And for me one of the great things is I get to meet people who I would not otherwise meet either because they’re in business, or in some other area of pursuit that I just wouldn’t knock into them. And I learn a lot from them. Every year I have learned a tremendous amount; and in particular I would say about energy, the environment . . . technologies that are available. That’s an area where I came to the Ideas Festival three years ago knowing very little. I’ve learned a lot from here. I’ve also learned a lot from people who are artists, and actors, and actresses here about art and how it influences them, and how it changes the way they see the world. So for me, it’s really interacting with people and gaining a little bit of the knowledge that they have on topics that I don’t know anything about.
"One of the great things is I get to meet people who I would not otherwise meet."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.