Core Skill: Communicating "The Hero's Journey"
Barry Ptolemy: For me I like to provide a hero in a narrative context and then allow my viewer to associate with that hero and let that hero’s struggle become their struggle. And when you do that you actually create this magical bond with your audience and they become onboard for whatever you have to say.
In terms of the business leader communicating, let people know what your objective is and then discuss the challenges that you’re going to face to get there and what’s going to happen and how the world’s going to change if we do make it there. It's very important to take people from this negative poll to the positive poll and back and forth because that is what grips a viewer, and t hat is what grips an audience and that is what's gonna get people's attention.
Steve Jobs is very well known for doing this and he talks about this new line of product that he’s going to bring out, this iPad, how it’s going to change the world and then what happens if we don’t change the world, if we fail. And then he brings it up again, he goes “isn’t’ this a great product,” taking people, the viewer, on this journey. It can be a short journey but taking them from this kind of natural valley to mountaintop view that affords people at the climax a new way of looking at the world. It makes for great theatrical presentations.
Directed / Produced by
Jonathan Fowler & Elizabeth Rodd
Tactics from successful storytelling can be leveraged in order to communicate any idea, from business to politics, says filmmaker Barry Ptolemy.
To create wiser adults, add empathy to the school curriculum.
- Stories are at the heart of learning, writes Cleary Vaughan-Lee, Executive Director for the Global Oneness Project. They have always challenged us to think beyond ourselves, expanding our experience and revealing deep truths.
- Vaughan-Lee explains 6 ways that storytelling can foster empathy and deliver powerful learning experiences.
- Global Oneness Project is a free library of stories—containing short documentaries, photo essays, and essays—that each contain a companion lesson plan and learning activities for students so they can expand their experience of the world.
Just before I turned 60, I discovered that sharing my story by drawing could be an effective way to both alleviate my symptoms and combat that stigma.
I've lived much of my life with anxiety and depression, including the negative feelings – shame and self-doubt – that seduced me into believing the stigma around mental illness: that people knew I wasn't good enough; that they would avoid me because I was different or unstable; and that I had to find a way to make them like me.
A joint study by two England universities explores the link between sex and cognitive function with some surprising differences in male and female outcomes in old age.
- A joint study by the universities of Coventry and Oxford in England has linked sexual activity with higher cognitive abilities in older age.
- The results of this study suggest there are significant associations between sexual activity and number sequencing/word recall in men. In women, however, there was a significant association between sexual activity in word recall alone - number sequencing was not impacted.
- The differences in testosterone (the male sex hormone) and oxytocin (a predominantly female hormone) may factor into why the male cognitive level changes much more during sexual activity in older age.
This is what the world will look like, 250 million years from now
To us humans, the shape and location of oceans and continents seems fixed. But that's only because our lives are so short.
Mathematicians studied 100 billion tweets to help computer algorithms better understand our colloquial digital communication.
- A group of mathematicians from the University of Vermont used Twitter to examine how young people intentionally stretch out words in text for digital communication.
- Analyzing the language in roughly 100 billion tweets generated over eight years, the team developed two measurements to assess patterns in the tweets: balance and stretch.
- The words people stretch are not arbitrary but rather have patterned distributions such as what part of the word is stretched or how much it stretches out.