Arianna Huffington on the Future of Iraq
Question: What happens if our troops pull out and Iran moves in? Or a genocide starts?
Arianna Huffington: You know, there’s an enormous amount of slaughter that has been going on while we’re afraid of a genocide in the future, and I think it’s very important to look at what is happening in Iraq now. The tragedy of 4 million displaced people and the tragedy of constant suicide bombs, and the fact that there’s been no real progress in terms of political stability, and that our very presence as an occupying force is actually exacerbating the situation. There are many military analysts also who feel that the real threat to America is in Afghanistan. That’s why one of my chapters is really about weakening Afghanistan, and strengthening Iran, which is of course very close to the Shiite/Iraqi government.
Recorded on: March 9, 2008
Huffington discusses the past, present and future of the Iraqi people and of the country itself.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.