Annette Gordon-Reed on Vernon Jordan Can Read!
Gordon-Reed: Vernon can read! Well, Mr. Jordan worked when he was in college in the summers, he worked as a chauffeur for men who was a sort of old time segregationist. And once he was serving this man and his family, and he’s actually, he came upon Mr. Jordan and looking at him reading a book and he was shocked and he sort of announced to his family Vernon can read because he hadn’t had anybody who work for him whom he really thought can actually read a book. I mean, you know, reading a few things but actually reading and Vernon can read. And so he, that always struck him a sort of emblematic of how people underestimate blacks and underestimated him. You know, Vernon can read and so he always said, “If I ever write a book about myself, that’s going to be my title.” So that’s was that was. It was about his sort of, like, his triumph over the kinds of attitudes that suggested that he was not supposed to do anything but be a servant and a literate servant at that.
Annette Gordon-Reed tells why she wrote the book.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.