Anne-Marie Slaughter on the International Criminal Court
Slaughter: The International Criminal Court is a huge opportunity for the Obama administration, although if I were advising the new President Obama, I would tell him don’t touch it for at least a year. You’ve got enough on your plate. Don’t make this like gays in the military where it’s something very controversial and you get out there on it early, but actually it poisons the well for a lot of other things. But the reason I say it’s a great opportunity is because what has been lacking above all on the International Criminal Court is just plain leadership. There has never been a presidential address on what the court is and what it could do. President Clinton ultimately supported the court at the very end of his administration. There was a period around 1995 where he supported it, but as the court was actually being created, he had lots of other things to occupy his time. He was not in good shape with the military.
Anne-Marie Slaughter explains how Obama has a key opportunity to reform the court.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.