Question: What do we stand for?
Tommy Thompson: I see the fact that 9/11 changed all of our way of thinking. It made us realize that we are no longer an island in the world. It made us realize that we are part of this whole universe, much more so than ever before; that people can harm us; that some people don’t like us. Some people out there really despise America – our way of life, our value systems. And what we have to do is we have to show the rest of the world that our value systems and our beliefs are good; and that people may not want to adopt them, but they should look at them and try and emulate some of the greatness of America. And I believe, you know, the way forward is to do what I’m talking about. Medical diplomacy, winning the peace in Iraq. And you know, you’re never gonna solve this problem without really winning the peace in Iraq.
Recorded on: 7/6/07
We don't live in a vacuum.
Beyond Beef sizzles and marbleizes just like real beef, Beyond Meat says.
- Shares of Beyond Meat opened at around $200 on Tuesday morning, falling to nearly $170 by the afternoon.
- Wall Street analysts remain wary of the stock, which has been on a massive hot streak since its IPO in May.
- Beyond Meat faces competition from Impossible Foods and, as of this week, Tyson.
Average waiting time for hitchhikers in Ireland: Less than 30 minutes. In southern Spain: More than 90 minutes.
- A popular means of transportation from the 1920s to the 1980s, hitchhiking has since fallen in disrepute.
- However, as this map shows, thumbing a ride still occupies a thriving niche – if at great geographic variance.
- In some countries and areas, you'll be off the street in no time. In other places, it's much harder to thumb your way from A to B.
A recent study used data from the Big Five personality to estimate psychopathy prevalence in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C.
- The study estimated psychopathy prevalence by looking at the prevalence of certain traits in the Big Five model of personality.
- The District of Columbia had the highest prevalence of psychopathy, compared to other areas.
- The authors cautioned that their measurements were indirect, and that psychopathy in general is difficult to define precisely.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.