Two from The Daily Yonder
School Enrollments: Diverse and Rising
After years of shrinking enrollments, rural school populations are on the
rise. Minority students and English Language Learners account for a high
proportion of the increase, and many of the poorest and poorest prepared
children are entering classrooms in states with the fewest resources to teach
them. . . . In the school year 2003-2004, nearly a half of all English Language
Learners (ELL) were enrolled in rural schools.
People are Moving to Already Poor, Rural Communities
There is a growing body of evidence that rural communities are poor because
poor people are moving there.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
Some back story
A Dunbar Correlation
Professor Dunbar's response:
Friendship, kinship and limitations
Gray matter matters
There is an eclectic list of reasons why compassion may collapse, irrespective of sheer numbers:
In the end
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.