Massive Solar Storm Caught on Camera
NASA has released images of an enormous solar storm that extended over a three hour period on June 7. The series of pictures capture "a huge coronal mass ejection erupting from the sun," which is followed by magnetic plasma raining down over an estimated half of the sun's entire surface.
How rare is such an occurrence? In terms of space weather, it's not so dramatic. And yet, C. Alex Young, a solar astrophysicist at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, said he had never seen material released from the sun like this before. "It looks like somebody just kicked a giant clod of dirt into the air and then it fell back down," said Young.
The solar storm hit its peak at about 2:41 a.m. EDT:
See the video here.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Best case: Redrawing borders leads to peace, prosperity and EU membership. But there's also a worst case.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.