How many abortions are actually performed? Numbers reveal the complexity in the raging debate.
- The American society is close to split on the legality of abortions.
- 45,789,558 abortions were carried out in the U.S. between 1970 and 2015.
- The abortion numbers are at an all-time low now, trending almost half of what they were.
Comedian Pete Holmes details his struggle with faith, sex, and God.
- Comedian and writer Pete Holmes explains how he lost his faith after a long struggle with what he calls his Christian, puritanical, shame psychology.
- Holmes found the antidote to internalized shame was 'thoughtless, irrational love'. Love should be as indiscriminate as light, he says. Many people only give conditional love to themselves and others.
- Sexuality is not a mistake, says Holmes. Pretending to be pure by saying frack instead of fuck, and not seeing R-rated movies and being really "nice" is not what a connection to the divine is about.
- Four states have now passed "heartbeat laws," which ban abortions at about six weeks.
- Ohio's new law prohibits rape and incest victims from having an abortion.
- In Georgia, having a miscarriage could result in an investigation.
Is Juche an ideology, a scam, or a very strange religion?
- North Koreans are known for fanatical dedication to their tyrannical rulers.
- Some have argued that this is because the ideology of Juche is less an ideology than it is a religion.
- Several elements of Juche were clearly influenced not by Marx, but by Confucius.
It's illegal to discriminate against people based on their gender, race, or religion. What about veganism?
Veganism is on the rise globally – but it can be contentious. Only recently, the editor of a food magazine joked that vegans should be force-fed meat while a bank employee told a vegan customer that they should be punched after he objected to some vegan graffiti near his home.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.