Need to isolate? No problem! This philosopher is keeping the world posted on his isolation routine by Facebook.
- Like everybody else, Romanian philosopher Mihai Sora is stuck inside.
- He is keeping busy for a 103-year-old man, and keeping the world up to date on his indoor adventures with Facebook.
- His to-do list is impressive, but not so impressive it can't be used by most people.
The costs of prohibition are great, but can people be trusted to make the best decisions for themselves?
- Classical liberals favor democracy because it operates as a ruling of the people by the people, rather than rule by someone else.
- This lends itself to the concept of negative freedom, or freedom from being compelled by the state or other authority to do something. So Daniel Jacobson, professor of philosophy at University of Michigan, raises the question: Do we have absolute sovereignty over our bodies?
- The crucial point for liberalism is that liberty ought to be the default. It shouldn't be easy to justify compulsion.
The Buddha wasn't concerned with transcendence, but rather fully embodying the moment.
- Buddhism's recognition of nature's transience is particularly important right now.
- Mindfulness is an introduction to insight, which needs to be applied to navigate challenging times.
- The following 10 quotes provide a roadmap for dealing with our current struggles.
Ever had trouble finding reason to get out of bed? Marcus Aurelius has some advice for you.
- Getting up in the morning stinks.
- Marcus Aurelius, the philosopher King of Rome, even had to write advice on getting up in his masterpiece Meditations.
- While the advice might not make you a fully fledged morning person, it might make getting up just a little easier.