Being bilingual has cultural, social, and cognitive benefits — so why are schools dropping language courses?
In the 1960s, in our public schools in California along the border with Mexico, Spanish language-learning was a requirement, beginning in sixth grade. I couldn't wait to get to sixth grade to start learning Spanish.
5-HTP could help both constipation and depression, but dosage matters.
- New research at Columbia University Irving Medical Center points to a potential treatment for depression.
- One-third of all sufferers of depression suffer from constipation, strengthening the connection between the mind-gut problem.
- Slow release 5-HTP was shown to alleviate both constipation and depression in mice.
Study finds that neurotic people deal with more "mental noise" than others.
- Neuroticism is characterized by emotional instability and lack of resilience.
- People who score high on neuroticism are at an increased risk for mental health problems and relationship woes.
- New research suggests that neurotic people deal with more mental noise.
Phrases like "Global warming" and "climate change" don't carry any weight.
- A neurological study shows that there are better ways to get someone to care about the threat of a climate in crisis.
- Catastrophe and more visceral words are more likely to make someone take action.
- Framing the problem in a different way can make naysayers come over to the cause.
A new study finds such kids excel in all cognitive areas.
- A Spanish study finds that nuts consumed early in pregnancy boost babies' cognitive strength.
- Eating walnuts, almonds, peanuts, pine nuts and/or hazelnuts early in pregnancy can make a big difference.
- For those without allergies, nuts are good food.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.