Don't start investing in flux capacitors just yet, though.
- The second law of thermodynamics states that order always moves to disorder, which we experience as an arrow of time.
- Scientists used a quantum computer to show that time travel is theoretically possible by reverting a simulated particle from an entropic to a more orderly state.
- While Einstein's general theory of relativity permits time travel, the means to achieve it remain improbable in nature.
Don't denigrate immigrants, says Jared Diamond. You are one.
- Every American, without exception, is an immigrant. Native Americans immigrated 13,000 years ago, and everybody else has immigrated within the last 400 years.
- The decision to emigrate is made by people who are healthy, strong, willing to undertake risks, and face the unknown. Those are also essential qualities for innovating.
- It's no coincidence that the great majority of American Nobel Prize winners are either first-generation immigrants or the children of first-generation immigrants.
Not all moms would travel into the African bush or drain their life savings just to help their kids realize their dreams.
- Mother's Day is Sunday, May 12.
- Philip Seymour Hoffman, Jane Goodall, and Elon Musk all received extraordinary support from their mothers.
- Without this support, these innovators' careers probably would've turned out much differently.
An investigation finds the cause of failed NASA launches and $700 million in losses.
- An Oregon company provided falsified tests to a NASA rocket builder for almost two decades.
- The company is now liable for $46 million in payments and the lab manager went to prison.
- NASA can't test every single component itself, making it important the supply chain is protected.
A new study highlights a fascinating application of AI, though other uses are more troubling.
- Recent research in epilepsy patients has provided a breakthrough in AI-enabled speech recognition technology.
- Soon researchers believe such an application will translate brain waves into speech.
- The moral dangers of AI, especially concerning privacy, continue to be an issue.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.