The loss of elephants accelerates climate change.
- Elephants help keep the central African forests they live in healthy.
- Without elephants, the forests see a striking reduction in their carbon dioxide-storage capacity.
- Study calls elephants "natural forest managers."
Cat owners are no more likely to be crazy than you.
- A study at UCLA found that cat and dog owners are just as likely to be crazy as non-pet owners.
- Misunderstanding cats often results from expecting them to act like dogs.
- Learning the natural behavior of your pet is essential for developing a strong bond with them.
You want one. Now you may be able to survive one.
Photo credit: Jie Zhao / Getty contributor
- Cats live in a quarter of Western households.
- Allergies to them are common and can be dangerous.
- A new approach targets the primary trouble-causing allergen.
Animal law is the fastest growing legal discipline.
- Harvard Law School is launching a new clinic to train lawyers in animal law.
- They're one of the leading institutions in the animal protection movement.
- Increased public interest in animal rights has made this discipline expand rapidly.
Tardigrades – commonly called "water bears" – were among the payload of an Israeli lunar lander that crashed into the moon in April.
- An Israeli spacecraft carrying tiny animals called tardigrades crashed onto the moon in April.
- It's unclear whether humans would be able to revive the tardigrades, which were in a dehydrated state.
- Tardigrades have a unique protein that enables them to survive intense levels of radiation.